- Message from the Program Manager
- Fallapalooza is nearly here!
- Trick-or-treating hours
- Foundation applications are coming soon
- Test your heater today
- Refer-A-Friend Program
- Holiday crime and safety tips
- Community happenings are on our website’s calendar
- How to have a successful Thanksgiving
- Preventative maintenance visits
- If you don’t want to miss a thing…update!
- Green corner
- Did you know...
- Do you like chili?
- Upcoming events and important dates
Dear Seymour Johnson AFB resident,
Corvias Military Living’s goal is to provide the best homes, service and value to residents. Each year, Corvias hires a third-party research company to conduct annual satisfaction surveys. These surveys help us focus on areas that need attention and identify ways to enhance the experience of each resident.
Corvias has selected SatisFacts Research to contact residents via e-mail to complete a brief online survey. To complete the survey, Corvias must have a personal e-mail address. Participation is voluntary. However, we strongly encourage residents to contribute. Without candid and thoughtful feedback, we could not have provided nationally recognized, award-winning customer service for six consecutive years.
Participants are automatically entered into a drawing for a $500 Visa gift card. Stop by the Community Office if you have questions or need to update your contact information.
If you have not yet received an e-mail from SatisFacts Survey, be sure to add ResidentSurveys@SatisFacts.com to your address book today!
Corvias Military Living
Let’s celebrate the season at our Fallapalooza event on Saturday, November 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. We will have a cake walk, K9 demonstration, magic show, face painting, games, prizes, a costume contest, and food, all for FREE! Costumes are encouraged. Don’t forget your camera!
In the event of inclement weather, Fallapalooza will be held on Saturday, November 15 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Halloween is Friday, October 31 and the approved trick-or-treating hours on Seymour Johnson AFB will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Base residents are asked to turn on a light by the front door if they wish to welcome trick-or-treaters! Be safe, and have fun!
Need money for college? Corvias Foundation applications for $50,000 college scholarships for military children, and applications for $5,000 educational grants for military spouses will be available after November 1 at corviasfoundation.org.
Don’t be left out in the cold - test your heater today! Keep in mind, when using your heater for the first time, you may detect a smoke-like odor. This smell is caused by the dust that has accumulated in your unit during the summer months and will usually dissipate within a few minutes. Please do not call 911 unless you actually see smoke or flames.
Have you ever wished you could be rewarded for telling your friends about the benefits of living on base? Now you can!
If you refer a friend who meets base residency requirements, signs a 12-month lease, and moves onto Seymour Johnson AFB by December 31, 2014, a $150 gift card will be provided to you as a referral reward.
New applicants must list the referral source’s name and phone number) at the time of application, or during the first visit/call to the Corvias Community Office. Additional restrictions may apply to this program.
For more information about the Refer-A-Friend Program, please contact the Corvias Community Office.
Congratulations to our recent Refer-A-Friend Program gift card recipients, A1C Erickson Ramones and SrA Dantrell Hunt!
The holidays are a time of cheer, but they’re also the peak season for crime nationwide. Here are a few tips to help keep your family safe this holiday season.
- Lock your car doors, roll up windows, and secure your valuables each time you exit your car. Do not store your keys in your car.
- Store valuable items like CDs, mp3 players, GPS systems, purses and wallets out of view in your car and remove suction cup marks from your windshield if you have any. Store holiday packages and purchases in your trunk and keep receipts with you.
- Close your garage door and secure all exterior doors and windows before leaving home.
- When traveling out of town, make your home look lived-in. Ask a friend or neighbor to check your mail and pick up newspapers from your yard. Install timers to turn lights on and off during evening hours.
Want to know what is happening in your community? Your community calendar can help you stay up-to-date on trash, recycling, lawn care, resident events and community activities. You can even sync your community calendar with a personal Google calendar by clicking on the +Google button on the bottom right-hand corner of the calendar.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Are you ready to cook up a storm? Check out these tips so your Thanksgiving in the kitchen is as enjoyable as possible.
- To keep your garbage disposal working properly, do not use it to dispose of large quantities of food waste. Egg shells, potato skins, pasta, rice, bones and other vegetables and meats can cause your disposal to clog and jam.
- If you do not cook frequently, test your oven at least a week before the holiday to ensure it is working properly. If repairs are needed, be sure to request a work order by contacting your Community Office as soon as possible.
- Do not pour grease, oils or other fatty substances down your sink, toilet or sewer drains. If poured down the sink, these materials can harden along pipes and may lead to clogged pipes and unpleasant sewer backups. These materials should be discarded with your regular trash.
- Use extreme caution when operating turkey fryers as these have contributed to many home fires and accidental burns. Always keep the fryer in full view while the burner is on and do not operate fryers in, on or under a garage, carport, porch, wooden deck, fence, dry grass or any other structure or material that can catch fire. For additional safety information, visit http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/consumer/productsafety/turkeys/
We are continuing to complete our annual preventative home maintenance visits on each of the Seymour Johnson AFB homes. We will ensure that your fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, mechanical system and applications, etc. are in tip-top shape.
This work does require entry into your home, so we will be sure to inform you of your preventative maintenance visit in advance. The next group of homes to be visited will be 233-803 Squier Avenue, and 101-113 Westover Road during the week of November 17.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Community Office should you have any questions or concerns.
Stay up-to-date on resident events, community information and emergency notifications. Please take a moment to update your contact information here, because we don’t want you to miss a thing that is going on in your community! By providing us with a working phone number and two current e-mail addresses, we will be able to contact you in a timely fashion for maintenance requests, event information, and more.
Gearing up for holiday cooking? Try preparing your whole meal in the oven at the same time. You can often simultaneously cook foods that have different cooking temperatures. Variations of 25 degrees usually produce favorable cooking results.
Our landscape service partner, Munie Greencare Professionals, provides turf fertilizer and weed control treatments in your yard to help keep it looking its best? The fertilizer treatments are applied to grassy areas once per year, usually in the spring or summer. The weed control treatments are applied year-round and may include the edges of your driveway, sidewalks, curbs, fence lines, and tree rings. In addition to weed control for existing weeds, pre-emergent weed control treatments are also applied seasonally to help prevent weed growth in flowerbeds and other landscaped areas.
Do you like chili? The 4th Fighter Wing Chapel will be hosting a free Soup on Sunday event on Sunday, Nov. 9 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in four locations throughout the community.
- Nelson Court Park
- Kasler/Beck Park
- Allen/Scriven Park
- Bolling/Westover Park
Come on out to enjoy some free chili and get to know your neighbors.
- November 1: Corvias Foundation applications are available
- November 8: Fallapalooza
- November 9: Soup on Sunday
- November 11 (Veterans Day): Community Office will be closed
- Week of November 17: Preventative maintenance visits
- November 27 (Thanksgiving Day): Community Office will be closed
- November 28: Community Office will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.